Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.10 and Ubuntu Linux and Debian Linux

From: Илья Мельников
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.10 and Ubuntu Linux and Debian Linux
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 08:24:20 +0500

09.09.2016 00:33, J G Miller wrote:
> But for ****WHO**** to update the PPA package??????????

For thousands users.
Here is PPA statistics (ver, dist, install count):
3.7.0-0 precise 18635
3.7.0-0 quantal 39
3.7.0-0 saucy   142
3.7.0-0 trusty  2144
3.8.1-0 precise 1991
3.8.1-0 trusty  902
3.8.1-0 utopic  23
3.8.1-0 vivid   55
3.8.5-1 precise 1878
3.8.5-1 trusty  2511
3.8.5-1 utopic  43
3.8.5-1 vivid   325
3.8.5-1 wily    28
3.9.1-1 precise 1542
3.9.1-1 trusty  3069
3.9.1-1 vivid   158
3.9.1-1 wily    346
(stats on 2016-05-18)

> So are you going to get in touch with whoever has built a PPA package and
> ask them to update their version?

I am updating Linphone PPA last two years.
Yes, users asked to hurry sometimes. :)
I build new version in PPA not right after release, but when has time
for it. And sometimes (when I delay) I recieve mails with wishes to
build new version.

>       "Have you been in touch with the Ubuntu Linphone Team?"
> which us yet to be answered.

There is no "Ubuntu Linphone Team".
All questions I redirect here - to official mail list. The lack of
proper Linphone bug tracker - It is a problem of Linphone developers.
Some my requests in this mail list remained with no answers too.

> It is not a matter of sinply providing on update package,

Yes, not simply. But I am trying. Conflicting libraries (matroska for
example) I do not include to PPA. But all others - present there.

> See this web page for somebody who tried to install a newer version in 16.04
> from a PPA and it would not work because the appropriate liblinphone library
> was not also updated to the necessary matching version.

liblinphone built and work. Including 16.04:
https://launchpad.net/~linphone/+archive/ubuntu/release/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=xenial

> <http://askubuntu.COM/questions/770298/how-can-a-current-version-of-linphone-be-installed>
Author of this question activated my development PPA just in time when I
built there new packages (2016-05-10...2016-05-11). There is a warning
in development PPA: "Do not use this PPA". This is users fault. Always
will be such users which do not read warnings. It does not depend on the
operating system.

To summarize...

> PPA packages are NOT part of the official Ubuntu release and are
> installable at the users own risk for whatever bugs and security
> problems may be contained therein.

Currently Debian/Ubuntu maintainers forgot about Linphone. I do not know
why. But Linphone in official Debian repo stalls in version 3.6.1 which
was released on 2013-06-19. 3 years ago!

Users who wants install Linphone in Ubuntu has three choices:
1. Install and use 3-year old version with some bugs.
2. Build from source (doable by "1%" of users).
3. Install new version from PPA.

And please do not tell about Debian stability and package policy.
Version 3.6.1 is buggy. Debian maintainers just do not update it.
Probably because of new libraries. Probably because of lack of time. I
do not know why.

As result thousands Ubuntu users make choice to install from PPA.
I do not calling all Ubuntu users to do it. I just trying to say that
using PPA is a possible variant for many users. It is a convenient way
for developers to bring new version to users.

--
Ilya Melnikov
2016-09-09, 08:15:21 +0500