Re: [Linphone-users] One-Way Audio Issues

From: Andrew Savchenko
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] One-Way Audio Issues
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:50:14 +0400

Hi,

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 20:34:09 -0300 Jim Diamond wrote:
> If it were only that easy...
>
> modinfo does not tell me that there is a 'fujitsu' option for my card.
> Poking around in
>       /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.5/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
> I see there are only seven options for my card (ALC269) listed, so I guess
> with some patience and testing I could find out whether one of the
> other options works even better.  Mind you, in
>       /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.5/sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c
> there are 10 models listed, but I guess if I can't specify each one
> individually it doesn't really matter how many models there are.

It looks like you misunderstood me. You can build a kernel in a way,
that you will have different modules for different hda-intel models,
not a single one driver. This will simplify things a lot since most
of this modules will not work on the very same hardware.

> However, you are right that if someone wants to dig far enough, they
> can discover what the options are for their card and try it out.  But
> I think it is a shortcoming that a user (who might not be as
> kernel-savvy as you, or at all kernel-savvy) needs to do something
> like this to figure out how to make his or her sound card work
> correctly.

I understand, this may be a tricky way for a common user, but at this
moment I can't offer another solution.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko