Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone on BlackBerry announce

From: Jehan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone on BlackBerry announce
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:54:26 +0100

Hi Mike,

Le 13 janv. 2011 à 11:30, address@hidden a écrit :

Hi Jehan,

sorry I've noted this announcement only now.

This is great news!

Installed now on a Bold 9700 OS 5.0.0.743 (platform 5.1.0.165).

It gets executed correctly.

Now I can't test the calls but this evening I'll do it.

Some questions:

Does Asterisk support the AMR-NB codec ?
Honestly I don't know very well Asterisk, so I cannot answer this question.
It looks like, have you used Asterisk as a testbed ?
In fact no, we are investigating to develop our own transcoder. I used a prototype with AMR-NB to G711 transcoding capabilities.
Or maybe a specific sip provider ?

I was always sure that I'll never see a softphone on the BB because RIM does not provide the necessary APIs (access to mic and inbound audio).
So this is not true ?
It really depends on the BB devices, On Bold series, it is possible to have simultaneous play/record using AMR-NB codec, but not with Storm2 9550.

An application which is very requested by the BB user base is the ability to record calls (both inbound and outbound audio) on the device or on the sd card.
Some users changed their mobiles to different vendors just for the lack if this feature.
Perhaps this softphone does not reflect the ability to access the audio flow of a normal (not voip) call
but if it does, you may consider to develop that 'calls recording application' and get some serious cash from it :)

I far as I remember, the BB stop the Audio recorder upon a GSM call is received. So I think we will have to find an other way to earn money ;-)

Thanks for your attention,
consider me an early adopter and beta tester of this port!
Mike

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:19:09 +0100