Re: [Linphone-users] Cameras QCIF compatibles with Linphone

From: Sébastien Teyssier
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Cameras QCIF compatibles with Linphone
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:18:20 +0100

It's a little bit more complicated.
Linphone works great with driver that support V4L2
V4L is a deprecated API still used with some drivers and apps. It may work with some trick.

To be sure to have a good support, choose a webcam that is UVC compliant. This should be a standard (also used with windoze drivers) with all recent cameras.

Here are a list of some of them :
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

Hi Vanessa

On 2010-03-11 21:43, Vanessa Gonzalez wrote:

> I am using Linphone in  Canaima (a Debian based O.S).  I understand
> that in Linux, Linphone only allows QCIF video resolution.

My camera (Labtec Webcam Pro using the spca561 driver) can be used in
all the resolutions proposed by Linphone, including svga (800x600). I
find that the cif mode (352x288) fits my screen best.
> In this sense, which cameras are compatible? I haven't been able to
> find one compatible.

I believe that all cameras for which a kernel driver is available should
be usable with Linphone. Se e.g. http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

Kind regards,

Bent