Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.0 + STUN

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.0 + STUN
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:59:15 +0000

Maxim Podbereznyi wrote:
Sorry, but I forgot to tell that both of my Linphone-phones are behind a firewall. That is why I'm asking about STUN parameters. The phones register at SIPNET with some unique SIPID, which can be used for calling to phones from PSTN or other softphones. Direct call with IP between them works fine. As mentioned previously problems begin when I try to use SIPID from SIPNET to call to a neighbor linphone. Seems like RTP ports are not mapped well in SIP messages.

There are situations where STUN can't help you. IIRC it involves both clients being behind a certain configuration of stateful firewall, but i don't remember the details. I started using an outbound proxy (siproxd) and haven't had problems since, but this does require you to have some control over the firewall.