Re: [Linphone-users] new linphone release

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] new linphone release
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:43:26 +0200

Hi Michael,

I had a look into this getaddrinfo problem.
The cygwin /usr/include/w32api is actually the mingw w32api, so we are looking
exactly the same thing.
The getaddrinfo functions are normally declared in Wspiapi.h in windows2000,
apparently with a different mangling.
Unfortunately mingw32 does not provide them, nor in header files and interface
libraries (.a).
This is explained in detail here:
http://readlist.com/lists/lists.sourceforge.net/mingw-users/0/1545.html
I don't see any other way that re-defining and emulate getaddrinfo functions
for win2k using old ipv4 functions (gethostbyname and so on).
That implies two deliveries of linphone: one supporting ipv6 and running on XP
only, the other supporting ipv4 only and running everywhere.
All the dependency chain of linphone would need to be rebuilt: libosip2,
libeXosip2, ortp, mediastreamer2, liblinphone .
2 days of work are needed to make the wrapper functions, create the new build
wxDev-Cpp scripts, modify linphone to have ipv6 inactivated, generate
binaries and test that everything works. After that at each new delivery I'd
need to maintain two builds, run the build twice, upload two setup.exe...

I understand this annoying for you not to be able to run linphone on
windows2000, but it's lot of work for me to make a delivery for windows 2000,
in a context where I already have a lot of urgent commercial requests to work
on and linphone is only a part time job for me !
Wouldn't be simpler that you upgrade on windows XP ?

Simon