Re: [Linphone-users] ADSL modem crash when using linphone-2.0.0

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] ADSL modem crash when using linphone-2.0.0
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:03:40 +0000

On Thursday 22 November 2007, address@hidden wrote:
> Quoting Alastair Johnson <address@hidden>:
> > On Thursday 22 November 2007, address@hidden wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Recently, I've decided to give a try to linphone as a SIP client.
> >> Unfortunately, I can't
> >> get it working, because my ADSL modem crashed every time I'm trying to
> >> add proxy in the
> >> preferences window. I'd mention that was quite unexpected behavior for
> >> me... Any thoughts
> >> about this issue?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Vladimir.
> >
> > It sounds like buggy ADSL modem firmware since it shouldn't crash even if
> > it doesn't like what linphone is doing. You don't mention which version
> > you're running, what the OS is, what the modem is and how it's connected,
> > or what the proxy is. This makes it difficult to say much more about what
> > might be happening. Linphone outbound proxy settings have always worked
> > for me. I've used several versions , currently 1.7.1, on multiple linux
> > clients. These proxy to siproxd 0.5.13 on a Gentoo box which currently
> > uses a USB ADSL modem but used to be behind an ADSL router with ports
> > forwarded to it. Its error logs have never suggested linphone is doing
> > anything it shouldn't, though that's no guarantee.
> >

> Firstly, the ADSL modem is working for more then one year and having
> problem only when I'm running p2p clients without restricting a number
> of sockets/connections, but as I concerned that's quite normal. The
> modem is Orange Livebox. It's a king of Sagem Fast3202 modem. Me and
> my girlfriend are both using SIP software almost everyday and didn't
> have any problems with ADSL modem (yet :)).
> Secondly, the version on linphone I mentioned in the subject of my
> mail - it's 2.0.0, system is Gentoo (2.6.23.8 x86_64). Hopefully, this
> information could help with understanding the problem.

Sorry I missed the version number - the subject column in the mail client
wasn't long enough to show it, and I didn't check it closely when replying.
It might explain things though. 2.0.0 has only been out a few days, and one
of the big changes was an update to the SIP stack. You may have been first to
find a newly introduced bug.

Do you have an ebuild for 2.0.0? After a portage update yesterday evening I
have:
[ebuild   R   ] net-voip/linphone-1.7.1-r1  USE="alsa arts gtk ipv6
xv -console -ilbc -novideo" 7,361 kB
This is ~amd64 with kernel 2.6.22-r5 so reasonably close to your system. It
doesn't look like I've used linphone on this box recently so I'll check the
config to see if it still works ;-) If that version's fine then I can try to
reproduce your problem.