[Linphone-users] Linphone-wx on Windows Vista and IPv6

From: Joonbum Byun
Subject: [Linphone-users] Linphone-wx on Windows Vista and IPv6
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:11:14 -0400

Hi, there:

What I'm trying to build is a SIP based VoIP network on pure IPv6 network. With three Linux based routers and a DNS server serving only AAAA query, I built a test bed network with IPv6 protocol only. To test a SIP based VoIP network, I installed SER SIP proxy server in a LInux machine (say, host A),, a Linphone Linux version on a Linux machine(say, host B) and Linphone Windows version (linphone-win32-0.2.2-setup.exe) on a Windows Vista (say, host C).

I know the Linphone Windows vesion is for XP only, not for Vista, but I took a liberty to install it on Vista because Vista is known to support IPv6 much better than XP and check what is happening. Installation was completed without any problem and GUI came up when executed. I enabled IPv6 protocol by setting Tools==> Setting==> IP Version to Use as IPv6. I put host B's host name in Call window  and pressed Stat! button. When looked into the message exchange through Ethereal, Linphone sent out query to DNS server asking for A record address of host B instead of AAAA. As DNS server keeps only AAAA record of host B, it replied with null address.

I'm aware that Linphone-wx is in very early stage of development and you may already realize this issue, but just wanted to report this.

P.S.
If you want me to test your snapshot version of Linphone-wx here, I'll be glad to do so.

Thanks,

Joon