Re: [Linphone-users] linphone FC4

From: Rick Sewill
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] linphone FC4
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:09:27 -0600

I do not have as much experience as others building linphone,
but I do try to build linphone, from the cvs tree, on Fedora Core 4.

Your specific question relates to linphone1.3.2 with speex1.0.5.
I have not tried building a specific release, attempting to use the
sources from the cvs tree instead.

I found it necessary to do the following when building linphone,
on Fedora Core 4, from the cvs tree:

# The following was needed to get certain function prototypes defined.
# Please see prototypes that only exist when __USE_MISC is defined in
# the header files found in /usr/include
# Please note: there may be other (better) ways of getting these
# prototypes defined.
export _GNU_SOURCE=1

# In the linphone directory, I use AM_VERSION=1.6 for autogen.
#
# Some time ago, files were NOT built successfully when I tried to use
# the latest tools found in autogen.sh.  I vaguely remember the
# symptom for the problem was missing a Makefile.in.
#
cd linphone
AM_VERSION=1.6 ./autogen.sh

# At one time, I found it necessary to do the following for configure:
./configure --disable-strict --enable-alsa

I don't know if the above is still needed.  The above was needed at
one time, and still seems to work.

The problem described below indicates
"cc1: warnings being treated as errors"
Using "--disable-strict" on the ./configure seemed to cure this.

Caution: Even with the above, I cannot build from the cvs tree,
without making local changes.  I have problems building in
mediastreamer2.  For some reason, which I do not understand,
the following happens when I do not make local changes.

The following is from the cvs tree, linphone/mediastreamers/Makefile.am
===== Begin some stuff from linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile.am =====
libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES=   mscommon.c      mscommon.h allfilters.h\
                                msfilter.c      msfilter.h msvideo.h \
                                msqueue.c       msqueue.h \
                                msticker.c      msticker.h \
                                alaw.c          g711common.h \
                                ulaw.c \
                                mssndcard.c     mssndcard.h \
                                msfileplayer.c  msfileplayer.h waveheader.h \
                                msrtp.c         msrtp.h \
                                dtmfgen.c       dtmfgen.h \
                                msfilerec.c     msfilerec.h\
                                audiostream.c   mediastream.h \
                                msspeex.c \
                                gsm.c

if BUILD_ALSA
libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES+=alsa.c
endif

if BUILD_OSS
libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES+=oss.c
endif

if BUILD_VIDEO
libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES+=msv4l.c sdlout.c
endif

===== End some stuff from linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile.am =====

becomes the following linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile.in

===== Begin some stuff from linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile.in =====
@address@hidden = alsa.c
libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES = mscommon.c       mscommon.h allfilters.h\
                                msfilter.c      msfilter.h msvideo.h \
                                msqueue.c       msqueue.h \
                                msticker.c      msticker.h \
                                alaw.c          g711common.h \
                                ulaw.c \
                                mssndcard.c     mssndcard.h \
                                msfileplayer.c  msfileplayer.h waveheader.h \
                                msrtp.c         msrtp.h \
                                dtmfgen.c       dtmfgen.h \
                                msfilerec.c     msfilerec.h\
                                audiostream.c   mediastream.h \
                                msspeex.c \
                                gsm.c

@address@hidden = oss.c
@address@hidden = msv4l.c sdlout.c
===== End some stuff from linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile.in =====

which becomes the following linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile
===== Begin some stuff from linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile =====
libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES = alsa.c
libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES = mscommon.c       mscommon.h allfilters.h\
                                msfilter.c      msfilter.h msvideo.h \
                                msqueue.c       msqueue.h \
                                msticker.c      msticker.h \
                                alaw.c          g711common.h \
                                ulaw.c \
                                mssndcard.c     mssndcard.h \
                                msfileplayer.c  msfileplayer.h waveheader.h \
                                msrtp.c         msrtp.h \
                                dtmfgen.c       dtmfgen.h \
                                msfilerec.c     msfilerec.h\
                                audiostream.c   mediastream.h \
                                msspeex.c \
                                gsm.c

libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES = oss.c
#libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES = msv4l.c sdlout.c

===== End some stuff from linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile =====

Examining the linphone/mediastreamer2/Makefile, one sees
"libmediastreamer2_la_SOURCES" is not set correctly.

I'm not sure why the above happens....

Currently, I locally modify linphone/Makefile.am to not build mediastreamer2.
===== I change linphone/Makefile.am as follows =====
 SUBDIRS = m4 support pixmaps po ipkg oRTP gsmlib lpc10-1.5 \
-                $(WIN32ACM_DIR) mediastreamer mediastreamer2\
+                $(WIN32ACM_DIR) mediastreamer \
                media_api exosip coreapi console gnome share developer-docs
===== I change linphone/Makefile.am as above =====

linphone seems to work fine without mediastreamer2...for the moment.
Hopefully, when mediastreamer2 is needed, I won't have problems.

I hope the above helps.  Please don't flame me if the above does not
help you.  I build and use linphone, as a hobby, out of curiosity.

I'd be pleased to learn what I should do differently.

-Rick