Re: [Linphone-developers] two local linphone apps make modem crash

From: William Hutchison
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] two local linphone apps make modem crash
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:32:58 -0600

Michael,
Thanks a lot to you and to Russell Treleaven for his previous comments in the forum. Both of you pointed me in the right direction, to my great relief. I tried the test in other locations and none of them crashes. Since it's so limited -- and must be very limited in general since nobody else seems to experience it -- I won't try to diagnose it further, just get a better modem. How great to have this kind of expert support!
   Bill Hutchison

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Michael Richardson <address@hidden> wrote:

William Hutchison <address@hidden> wrote:
> IDs connected to the same wifi router for a video call (e.g., for
> testing), then when either of them hangs up, it immediately crashes
> the router as if the Reset button had been pushed and it takes the
> usual 30-40 seconds to recover the wifi. I thought it might be my

Uhm, so nothing on your phone should ever crash another device.
Even if it were your programming, it would be wrong.  The router is
broken.  Please document the brand and OS version of the router, and
if you can, get a tcpdump/wireshark capture.  That could be hard...

> programming, so I downloaded regular Linphone apps from the Play
> Store and the iPhone store, and the same thing happens with them --
> every time.  Any idea what could cause such strange behavior? Has
> anyone else tried this?

I don't think that Linphone is using UPNP to open ports, but I could be wrong
here.  It could well be that the arrangement of hair-pin'ed RTP ports
confuses the router, maybe even causes it to go into some kind of routing
loop.

Please get a device that runs OpenWRT and try it: if it crashes too,
at least that could be easily diagnosed.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [