Re: [Linphone-developers] gsm support

From: Conrad Beckert
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] gsm support
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 01:14:58 +0200

Hi Simon,

> Internal gsm library is no more supported: install libgsm with apt-get,
> yum or your favourite tool and run configure. It should detect it and
> build gsm  support.
This is what happens. Unfortunately, for most distributions, there is no gsm
support out of the box anymore (which is a pity since Linphone has always come
with decent codec configuration).

This is the case because packagers (at least those in Debian and Ubuntu) do not
compile using libgsm. So it is not available unless one compiles himself.

Not good. Speex often sounds really choppy on my Asterisk. Neiter iLBC support
is available. PCM is not an option if one wants to have video as well.

Ways around? I understand that they don't want a dependency of linphone to
libgsm. So probably it might be a solution for Linphone to create some plugin
framework enabling the end user to optionally install additional codecs later.

I would have to bake my own version when I finally switch to Karmic. (as I did
the last time) Hey - Version 3.2 looks cool- so one might be tempted to do so
anyway.

Greetings
Conrad