[Linphone-developers] I18N of mediastreamer filter descriptions

From: Petr Pisar
Subject: [Linphone-developers] I18N of mediastreamer filter descriptions
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:48:13 +0100

Hello,

I have complied some time (years) ago that description of codecs in GTK
interface (that shows as popup over the codec line in settings) is not
localized. Simon replied its not possible because the strings are static
strings in mediastreamer library.

Despite it I managed to internationalize the filter descriptions and it works
very well.

It uses standard gettext apropach for such cases:

Strings in mediastreamer modules are syntactically marked up with N_(String)
makro which has void semantics. This allows to gather messages into gettext
template.

The real translation is done on-the-fly in coreapi/misc.c by gettext(String),
where String is pointer to static string with description (its part of
mediastreamer filter structure).

I marked up all filters I met and I added them to po/POTFILES.in. (I'm not
sure I discovered all of them.)

Implementation is attached as gzipped patch against r206.

-- Petr