Re: [Linphone-developers] [sr #105016] Wish: video call support

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] [sr #105016] Wish: video call support
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:47:40 +0100

> Thanks!
> Out of curiosity: any plan to include support for H261 as well ?
> Not that i know anything about it, but kphone uses both H261 and H263...

Well, H261 is a prior version of H263, designed for very low bandwidth
communications. I don't think it is valuable to spend time on this.

There exists three versions of H263: H263, H263-1998 and H263-2000.
Linphone only supports H263-1998. Normally H263 is supposed to be outdated and
new implementations should implement it only for backward compatibility. But
I don' t know what the existing implementation over the world are currently
supporting. There seems to be still many ones using H263. So maybe I'll need
to add H263 support, depending on the users feedback.

Simon