Re: Pickup measure

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Pickup measure
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:29:09 -0700

On 2023-10-27 6:13 pm, Will Turner wrote:
I imported a Musicxml file of a hymn. The first measure is a pickup
measure but it imports as a full measure 3/4 with only a quarter note
in it. You can see that the measure appears to contain room for 3
beats instead of one. When I play this in Musescore, it plays as a
pickup measure, and the measure doesn't have all that space in it.

Using \partial 4 on the first measure, I'm trying to make the existing
first measure look like a pickup measure and, if possible, actually be
a pickup measure. The result I get looks like this. It redistributes
the other measures and the end of every line is now a pickup measure.
How do I make only the first measure a pickup measure?

Without the .ly file itself, it is hard to say.

But I suspect the quarter notes from the first measure are being converted to something like 4*3, essentially making a quarter take up the whole time of the measure, which sort of looks like a pickup note. (This would likely be a problem with the source XML or the converter.)

When you add the \partial 4, the first quarter duration of the 4*3 is in the anacrusis and then its other two quarters of time push the dotted quarter to beat three, which leads to all the other alignment errors.

-- Aaron Hill