Re: Anything similar to to-barline for extender lines of cresc/dim?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Anything similar to to-barline for extender lines of cresc/dim?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 20:11:56 +0200

On 2023-10-11 17:17, Knute Snortum wrote:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 5:40 AM Mats Bengtsson <matsboxergrand@gmail.com> wrote:
Follow-up question; wouldn't it be good to have this setting as the
default?

You can, in a way, set it as the default by using an override instead of a tweak:

Certainly! You can even do the setting for all scores of the current file by adding

\layout{
  \context{
    \Score
    \override DynamicTextSpanner.to-barline = ##t

(or even putting these lines in an include file together with all other favorite settings of yours).

My question was on the default behavior in LilyPond, where to-barline is true by default for hairpins but not for the extender lines of textual dynamics. I have just ordered a copy of E. Gould's "Behind bars" (which now is available in paperback at a much lower price than the earlier bound version), but before it arrives I don't know if she has anything authoritative to say about best typesetting practice in this situation.

   /Mats