Re: custom replace/map of one set of pitches to another

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: custom replace/map of one set of pitches to another
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:59:02 +0200

Hi Valentin,

Am 01.09.23 um 00:41 schrieb Valentin Petzel:
I don’t think this is a particularly good idea. Lilypond conceptually first
creates data for the sementic meaning of the music (or the actual content) and
have engravers turn this into graphical content.

Mapping pitches to other pitches is not a layout option, but a musical
transformation and should thus be done on the music level, not the layout
level. Using an engraver will mean it is hard to combine this with other
musical transformations, and it will also cause order issues as soon as you
have an engraver that depends on the pitch property.

I agree about the possible problems, and to be honest, I wasn't aware that a music function solution like yours can deal with \transpose and \relative gracefully (since the assignment of actual pitches is complete when the music function is applied on the outside).

What I don't necessarily agree with is the philosophical notion of engravers being tied to the layout level (which is admittedly suggested by their name): As long as I work with listeners (as opposed to acknowledgers), I see no problem in using them for "semantic" transformations that need the music sorted by timestep (which nevertheless is not the case in the current situation).

Lukas