Re: Automatic annotation of slide positions/fingerings for brass instrum

From: samarutuk
Subject: Re: Automatic annotation of slide positions/fingerings for brass instruments.
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 10:27:14 +0200

Hi,
I am not sure if I understand "iterated music" correctly? Is it about the internal order of processing to get to the PDF score?
In any case, there already does exist "\set printOctaveNames = ##t", which prints the exact note name including pitch (c'…c''…; see also attachment) below every note.
Is it possible to manipulate this function to print the slide position or fingering for a brass instrument instead of the note name?
As I said, I am not a programmer and ChatGPT etc. may need several more years or a decade to be able to do something like this ;-)

Surely some people could benefit from a solution like that. As noted, it would be very handy for educational purposes in general. Of course, you can do it manually, but for more extensive scores it is very tedious, typos can creep in and there is a lot of extra text which makes the Lilypond code more confusing. The manual fingering function is also single digit as far as I know. For brass instruments with valves, you usually need one to three or four digits (see screenshot in attachment) and sometimes also other characters or brackets for alternate fingerings/slide positions.

Kind regards
Andreas