Re: Polyphonic piano writing - beam directions

From: William Rehwinkel
Subject: Re: Polyphonic piano writing - beam directions
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 21:12:41 -0400

Dear Jin,

In the future, it will be helpful to include a minimum working example, so we can get a better idea of what step you are at, and what exactly the problem is, so we can modify the code more directly.

For writing cross-staff beams, you can use \voiceOne when the notes go to the bottom staff and \voiceTwo when they go to the top to replicate kneed staves, like

\version "2.25.7"

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = "up" \relative g' { \voiceTwo g16 e c \change Staff = "do" \voiceOne g e g \change Staff = "up" \voiceTwo c e}
  \new Staff = "do" \with {\clef bass } s2

\markup { as opposed to for example: }

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff = "up" \relative g' { \voiceTwo g16 e c \change Staff = "do" g e g \change Staff = "up" c e}
  \new Staff = "do" \with {\clef bass } s2

Thanks,
-William