Re: temporarily overriding paper variables

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: temporarily overriding paper variables
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 01:22:26 -0700

On 2023-03-28 11:51 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
\markup \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . -2.5) \column {
  \vspace #0.55
  "foo"
}

I want the violin clef touch the top edge of the page.

Ah, you need to adjust the vertical extent in the other direction:

%%%%
\markup \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(2.5 . 0)
  \general-align #Y #UP "foo"
%%%%

The vertical extents #'(0 . -2.5) and #'(2.5 . 0) both have the same effective height of -2.5 units, however they have a different relative starting point which is important for what may appear *below* the markup. In my example, I needed the red rectangle to snugly fit with the scores on both sides, so I apologize that it was not very clear how the vertical extent had been altered to achieve that.

Also, do use \general-align to avoid futzing with \vspace in your markup.

-- Aaron Hill