Bar check for lead in notes?

From: John Whitmore
Subject: Bar check for lead in notes?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:40:09 +0100

I'm not even sure that I have the correct terminology for why I'm trying to achieve. I've been trying to find info in the bar sections but so far haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to write out a tune whose first bar is incomplete, whilst the piece is in 4/4 the first bar only contains a triplet:

\tuplet 3/2 { a'8 b' cs'' } |

There are no rests in the bar it's just that triplet, which would be equivalent to a 1/4 note, I think. So that bar is only a quarter the length that it should be for the bar check.

The last bar of the piece is the mirror of that first bar and is only 3/4 full:

fs''8 g''  fs'' e'' d''8 r8 |

Unfortunately the above will fail the first bar check and then rearrange all the bars to move the bar breaks making that first bar a complete bar.

I've tried to remove all the bar checks from the piece and manually add the bars with '\bar "|"' But that gives me my manual bars plus where lilypond thinks the bars should go.

            \tuplet 3/2 { a'8 b' cs'' } \bar "|"
            d''4  fs''8 d''  g'' e'' fs'' e'' \bar "|"

I end up with alternating bars which are 1/4 full and 3/4 full the whole way through the piece.

Probably missed the section of the manual which I need for this. Any direction would be gratefully received.