Re: insert a `Custos` grob manually

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: insert a `Custos` grob manually
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:24:53 +0000 (UTC)

>> I would like to have a command that inserts a `Custos` grob.  Note
>> that it should really be a `Custos` grob and not something else so
>> that `\BalloonGrobText Custos ...` works.
>>
>> Is there a possibility to do that?
>
> What is the context? Do you want the custos' pitch to be determined
> by the next note or do you want to make it arbitrary? Is it for the
> visual index?

Exactly.

> This kind of works:
>
> ```
> \version "2.24.1"
>
> \new Staff \with {
>   \consists Custos_engraver
> }
> {
>   c'1
>   \once \override Staff.Custos.break-visibility = #all-visible
>   c'1
> }
> ```
>
> but it's not clear to me if that corresponds to your desired output.

Thanks, this is good enough.  I simply hide the note following the
custos – of course, the ideal solution would be that the custos is
really at the end of the staff line, and the extra note is just there
to indicate at which pitch the custos gets typeset.

In general, this is a feature that would be quite helpful for
musicology: The possibility to 'continue' a score without actually
typesetting it.  An example is ties; right now it is necessary to
imitate this with laissez-vibrer ties.  The same problem exists at the
beginning of an excerpt; sometimes you want to show, say, bar 3 of a
piece, which has ties from bar 2.

    Werner