Re: Benefits of Cairo backend over Ghostscript for PDF

From: Volodymyr Prokopyuk
Subject: Re: Benefits of Cairo backend over Ghostscript for PDF
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:19:27 +0100

Good morning Jean and Werner,

The alpha transparency and fonts embedded in SVG along with leaner code are important advantages of Cairo. Thank you for outlining this!

I'll investigate ways to reduce PDF size and let you know the outcomes of my investigation.

Thank you,
Vlad

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 6:08 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> I can see that the size of the Cairo-generated PDF is around 3 times
> bigger compared to the same document generated with Ghostscript?  Is
> there is way to reduce the size of the Cairo-generated PDF?

You might try `pdfsizeopt`.

  https://github.com/pts/pdfsizeopt

     Werner