Re: Variables and Bookpart

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Re: Variables and Bookpart
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:21:29 -0700

That really only addresses the full score, not the parts, since in the parts multiple movements share the same bookpart.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 5:19 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

Le dimanche 12 mars 2023 à 17:06 -0700, Saul Tobin a écrit :

For what it's worth my use case was that I use the same variable names for each instrument in a separate file for each movement of a piece. I therefore need to \include the music for each movement immediately before the \score for that movement, in order to redefine the variables with the music for that movement. For the full score, that doesn't require \parserDefine because each movement can be its own \bookpart. However, for printing parts, I find it helpful to have all instruments output in the same \book, with each instrument as a \bookpart. That means that I need to be able to redefine the music variables within a \bookpart.
If I were willing to use different variable names for instruments in each movement this wouldn't be needed, but I just find that ugly. I want my violinI to always be called violinI. There might be other ways to accomplish a similar goal but this has worked fine for me.

Why not just save the bookparts into variables as you create them and later assemble them in a book? (See also my reply to Mark.)