Discourse experiments

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Discourse experiments
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:54:27 +1100

I found a tool in the procmail suite to split mbox archives into individual messages. I upped the available swap space on the server to 13GB (thanks to David Kstrup for suggesting this idea). There are 156457 items in the archive up to last month or so. That number is from the first message ever posted to now. The import went fine. Only took a few hours.

The import creates what are called staged users, not yet activated. I need to learn how to let people activate their accounts or automate that.

This appears to be a complete success. The only surprise is finding some emails right at the top that are junk about cheap DVD burners, complete spam, and without proper headers. Had me perplexed for a while, but you can actually see this junk if you search in the user archives.

When I play some more with this instance I'll open it up for everybody to have a look at if they would like. I'll publish the domain name that it sits on then.

One thing I like about Discourse is the good search function. Sure you can search the web based user archive but this is all integrated on the Discourse web interface and it's a pleasure to use. The recent versions of Discourse also have Chat, which is a potentially useful feature.

Andrew