Re: Musicalion

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: Musicalion
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 11:43:13 -0600

I thank you both - my inexperience showing.

Regards.

Guy S

On 3/6/23 11:27 AM, Stephan Schöll wrote:

The business model Jean quoted looks like making money with subscriptions with the publication of scores that are otherwise free, without adding any value. There are many of them.

From a user's (director, ensemble) perspective: Why should I be a paying member of musicalion.com if I find the scores on cpdl.org?

From a publisher's perspective: Why publishing on a second platform when already publishing on a very established (cpdl.org) one? Do you really want to do the double work without any benefit on your side?

To me the offer has several smells

* You got the request unsolicitedly. Let's assume they write to all cpdl.org publishers and make use of any other sources of email addresses...

* On the German front page they write "Staatlich anerkannte Bibliothek" (state-approved library) as a sub-heading. What state? If you hover that link you get information about the subscription service, but not about some accreditation or alike.

my 2 cents ;-)

Stephan