Re: Message size limit

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Message size limit
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 09:33:12 +0000

At 15:28 on 05 Mar 2023, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Hello All,

> I can't help feeling a twinge of schadenfreude on hearing this. :-)

> Although one can impose such restrictions in Discourse, you don't have
> to unless you are constrained by organisational problems as here with
> GNU. As to my suggestion about implementing Discourse, I'd be
> proposing running it on a dedicated linux server at one of the hosting
> providers, well clear of GNU infrastructure and limitations. Discourse
> also handles attachments and images very well, both in the web
> interface and in the email interface, no problems, and you can set
> maximum size allowed with ease to whatever your system can handle in
> terms of disk space.

Whilst the discussion regarding Discourse emerged from a general thread
about the mailing list infrastructure, I think it's unfair to score this
as a point against the current Mailman/GNU setup.

We are currently benefiting from the GNU project's provision of disk
space and bandwidth for the mailing lists - and indeed have "set maximum
size allowed with ease" on this occasion to avoid wasting that
provision.

As you say in your next email regarding Discourse, that itself would
rely on user donations to fund it - it seems likely that a similar
maximum size limit would be set.

--
Mark Knoop