Re: removing `--show-rules` option of `convert-ly`?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: removing `--show-rules` option of `convert-ly`?
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 18:12:47 +0100

(Sorry, my email client keeps using the wrong From: address)

   /Mats

On 2023-03-04 08:09, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Folks,

who has ever used option `--show-rules` of `convert-ly`, except for
being curious what this option does?

In https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1854 we are
discussing whether it would make sense to remove it.

I've definitely used it a number of times over the years, for example to get a brief overview of recent syntax changes. Another use case is when trying to figure out the history of when a particular change happened and what changed, either since I have an old file myself or there is some question on the mailing list or I discover some "new" (to me) feature, since that can provide a pointer to which version of the Changes document to look at to learn more about the change.

I know that you developers rather search directly in the git history or the issues history, but there it may be hard to know what to search for and even with the correct search term you might get too many hits to be able to quickly sort out which is relevant. On the other hand convert-ly -s allows me to quickly browse through the history.

Regarding the discussion in the merge request, I don't see any reason to translate these messages. I wouldn't expect a lot of users who use the feature and don't know English sufficiently well to be able to decipher what it's about, especially since the Lilypond syntax itself is language independent.

    /Mats