Re: Determining requested output files

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Determining requested output files
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:06:46 -0500

> On Feb 20, 2023, at 7:33 AM, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>
> (Adding back the list)

Sorry about losing the list.

> Le dimanche 19 février 2023 à 12:46 -0500, R. Padraic Springuel a écrit :
>
>> It’s part of my system for having make automatically figure out dependencies
>> when running LilyPond:
>> https://github.com/rpspringuel/lilypond_make/tree/GNUmake_dependencies
>> The changes to the backend require some updates to the system to work with
>> 2.24.
>>
> I see that you also have a branch where you ask LilyPond what it has
> generated after it has generated it. What about doing something much simpler:
> always call LilyPond with -o emptydir, where emptydir is an empty directory,
> and move the files afterwards. Then you know exactly what has been generated
> without having to ask LilyPond.

Hadn’t thought of that, but it might be a workable idea.  I actually use the
system exemplified on that other branch for my own work because, as is pointed
out in the article linked in the README on that branch, once you know the
dependency file is out of date, you know that the score itself is out of date
and so can safely build both at the same time.  I’m already using a SED script
to add the midi file to the dependency list, so it shouldn’t be too difficult
to modify that to replace some default placeholder (that LilyPond itself puts
in the dly file) with a proper list of the actually generated files.

The one thing I don’t like is that the dly file that LilyPond produces as part
of its run won’t be usable under this strategy without the SED modifications in
the make recipe, but I suppose that’s just me picking nits rather than a real
problem for someone using the system.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey