Re: Overshooting melisma in multi-stanza music, Lilypond 2.24.0

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Overshooting melisma in multi-stanza music, Lilypond 2.24.0
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 10:02:07 +0100

Hello Eirik,

this behaviour is caused by defining new Lyrics contexts in Lyrics contexts as
it seems. I’ve also never seen someone use such notation before.

Rather I’d do different Voices for different Lyrics to align to:

\version "2.24.0"

global = {
\key f \major
\time 4/4
}

sopranoVoice = \relative c'' {
  \new Voice = "chorus" {
  \global

  % Music follows here.
  \repeat volta 3 {
    \bar ".|:" c4 4 4 4 |
    \alternative{
      \volta 1,2
      { d4 4 4 4|
        \new Voice = "stanza" {
          g,4 4 4 4 |
          c,4 e g bes16~ 16~ 16~ 16|
      \volta 3
      { e4 4 4 8 8|}
      }%end alternatives
    }% end repeats
  }% endVoice
} %end music

verseOneSopranoVoice = <<
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "chorus" {
    \set stanza = "Chorus:"
    % Lyrics follow here.
    Chorus! is my desire, also part of  \set associatedVoice = "stanza"
chorus!

    \set stanza = "1."
    Now I sing my be -- au -- ti -- \set associatedVoice = "chorus" ful __

    and the song is over.
  }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "stanza"
  {
    \set stanza = "2." Oh how wonder -- ful is this happy song! __
  }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "stanza"
  {
    \set stanza = "3." Oh yes, there! I see over there is __
  }

voiceParts = \new ChoirStaff <<
  \new Staff { \sopranoVoice }
  \verseOneSopranoVoice