Re: writing score in absolute time

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: writing score in absolute time
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 09:38:49 -0500

Hi Jacopo,

> I’ll tell you a secret: almost the entire occidental notation system is a
> nice and juicy cartesian linear graph.

Well… sort of… but as Andrew points out, for any fixed “width = duration”
association you give me, I can compose music of the given duration, made up of
“too many” extremely fast notes, which cannot be intelligibly written in the
given width.

> Anyway, as you said, no notation program can do this task.

I can do it in Lilypond:
1. Make each measure an independent score of fixed line-width.
2. Stack all scores horizontally in a \markup block with no space between them.

Done! ;)

Of course making that structure/process reasonably pleasant for the Lilypond
user is a whole ‘nother matter.

Cheers,
Kieren.