lyLuaTex (solved)

From: Graham King
Subject: lyLuaTex (solved)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 01:58:31 +0000

(with apologies for the digression on a previous thread[1])

I have now succeeded in getting lyLuaTex[2][3] working, and this posting seems as good a place as any to record the steps, in case anyone else might find it helpful.  This is a summary of a moderately painful learning curve, full of interruptions and blind alleys, so I hope I've captured the result properly (modulo any spurious linebreaks introduced in the email chain)...

My environment:
  • Ubuntu Linux 18.04
  • Lilypond 2.23.10 (I think this procedure should work for more up-to-date versions)
  • Texlive packages from Ubuntu (of which most are almost certainly unnecessary for this purpose, but never mind): texlive-base, texlive-binaries, texlive-extra-utils, texlive-font-utils, texlive-fonts-recommended, texlive-lang-english, texlive-latex-base, texlive-latex-extra, texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-luatex, texlive-music, texlive-pictures, texlive-plain-generic, texlive-pstricks.
  • Editor: TeXstudio 2.12.6  (my choice; yours may differ)
Install some luaTex extension packages:
mkdir -p ~/texmf/tex/latex
cd ~/texmf/tex/latex
texhash ~/texmf

Create a wrapper script to suppress TeXstudio complaints about $TERM [4]:

cat > ~/bin/lualatex-wrapper <<-EOF

#! /bin/bash

# Don't indent the previous line!

# Wrapper script for luatex invoked from TeXstudio.

TERM=dumb /usr/bin/lualatex "$@"
EOF

chmod 755 ~/bin/lualatex-wrapper

In TeXstudio, select <Options><Configure TeXstudio>:

In the commands tab:

LuaLaTeX: /home/yourusername/bin/lualatex-wrapper -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode -shell-escape %.tex

Note that the -shell-escape option opens a security hole if you are going to compile latex docs from dodgy sources.  I don't judge ;)

In the build tab:

Default compiler: txs:///lualatex

Now we should be ready to compile a fairly minimal example document:

\documentclass{article}

% Adjust the program path to match your installation:

\usepackage[program=/usr/local/lilypond/lilypond-2.23.10/bin/lilypond]{lyluatex}

\begin{document}
Here is an example:

\begin{ly}
\addlyrics{a -- b -- c}
\end{ly}

And here is a fragment, \lilypond{\new RhythmicStaff { \time 3/4 c4( c16) c c c c c c c \bar "|."}} inserted inline.

\end{document}

(Remember to use <Tools><Build and View(F5)> if you want to see the updated PDF)

 HTH.  Grateful thanks to all the contributors listed at [2].

-- Graham