Unable to use \bar","

From: Stephen Robinson
Subject: Unable to use \bar","
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:14:48 -0800

Hi all!

I've been using Lilypond for a few months now, and am loving the flexibility it affords. I've come across the first issue that I haven't been able to resolve on my own, and I have the feeling that it must be trivial.

I am trying to typeset some ancient chant in a modern notation. But I want to keep the traditional barlines. Looking at the documentation I found \bar"'" \bar"," \bar"|" and \bar"||" which are the four that I need. All is well, except I cannot for the life of me get \bar"," to work. Here is a minimal example:

\version "2.22.2"

% \bar"," does not display at all (no barline visible)
\relative{ a'4 b c b \bar"," a a a a }

It simply does not show at all. (This is Lilypond 2.22.2. I downloaded the official build from the website, and am running it on Ubuntu 20.04). I can replace the "," with any of the others and it works fine.

I read the gregorian.ly file and found how the \divisioMaxima command is implemented (using \breathe instead of \bar). I could probably cobble together a work-around with that, but I'd rather not.

This feels like it should be a simple problem. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here?

Thanks!
Stephen