Re: Adding durations (for \after)

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Adding durations (for \after)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 14:33:24 +0100

Le 11/11/2022 à 03:37, David Kastrup a écrit :
I think we should avoid piling on arbitrary stuff without clear need for
expressing music into the LilyPond grammar.

Personally, I find it striking that the *only* two LilyPond
libraries I am hearing about regularly on mailing lists,
edition-engraver and arranger.ly, are both about
inserting / replacing music in a score at a certain
point in time, although with different purposes
(tweaking vs. arranging) and with different authors,
implementations and users. To me, that means it would
be good to integrate generic tools inspired by them
into LilyPond proper. Now, in both of these, you
specify a position by its timing at every fragment
of music you insert, so this sort of syntax would make
them quite more convenient to use.

Admittedly, this syntax has more potential benefit in
the future for these external tools or tools in LilyPond
inspired from them than it has benefit for current
standard use of LilyPond.

Jean