Re: Hyphen in lyrics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hyphen in lyrics
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 00:59:23 +0200

Stephan Schöll <music@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi all
>
> How can I force a hyphen in a word to be printed as in the example with
> the word "washed-out":
>
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> \score {
>   <<
>   \new Staff {
>     \new Voice = melody \relative c'{
>       d4 d d r
>     }
>   }
>   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
>     % whashed-out dreams
>     \lyricmode { Whashed out dreams }
>   }
>   >>
> }
>
> This hyphen is a part of the word. I don't want to have it printed
> optionally depending on the vertical spacing as regular
> inter-syllable-hyphens in lyrics do.
>
> \lyricmode { Whashed- out dreams }
> or
> \lyricmode { "Whashed -" out dreams }
> might be viable compromises, but I'd prefer it centered between "washed"
> and "out".
>
> TIA
> Stephan

<https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#extenders-and-hyphens>

tells you how to enter hyphens and how to specify minimum distances and
minimum length for a hyphen.

  \new Lyrics \with { \override LyricHyphen.minimum-length=#0
                      \override LyricHyphen.minimum-distance=#1
                    } \lyricsto "melody" {
    % washed-out dreams
    \lyricmode { Washed -- out dreams }
  }

will work when inserted into your example.

If you want this override to be one-time rather than unconditional, you
could try something like

\version "2.20.0"

hy =
\tweak minimum-length #0