Re: stacking of figured bass elements

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: stacking of figured bass elements
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 05:31:04 +0000 (UTC)

>> I see that the function also listens to `basic-distance` (probably
>> from `VerticalAxisGroup`), but I wasn't able to trigger it – most
>> probably, this code part is not specific to figured bass.
>
> I think this should do (I can elaborate when I have more time):
>
> \version "2.22.2"
>
> \figures {
>   \override BassFigureLine.staff-staff-spacing =
>               #'((basic-distance . 0)
>                  (minimum-distance . 1.6)
>                  (padding . -inf.0)
>                  (stretchability . 0))
>   < f I \markup r >
> }

Aah, not `VerticalAxisGroup` but `BassFigureLine` it is!  Excellent,
thanks!

One question remains, however: Why `staff-staff-spacing` and not
`nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing`?  Or to ask the question differently: How
can I recognize the difference between 'staff' and 'nonstaff' material
in general?

    Werner