Re: stacking of figured bass elements

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: stacking of figured bass elements
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 23:37:01 +0200

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

[...]

> staff-padding also works for this purpose. However, it may be trumped by
> other settings if they lead to larger offset values. You likely need
> to reduce padding and outside-staff-padding. This changes the spacing
> in situations where there are collisions. Independently, staff-padding
> does not work for Score objects.
>
> minimum-space also works, but suffers from issues similar to staff-padding.
>
> On top of all this, there are even more parameters influencing
> collision avoidance, like slur-padding, horizon-padding and
> outside-staff-horizon-padding.
>
> Go explain the above to the average user.

In my experience, when a situation is incoherent due to technical
reasons to a degree where I consider it sort of hopeless "to explain it
to the average user", namely document it in a manner that is more
cohesive than tracing all code paths, there is some merit in changing
it.

Ideally, we'd want to get to the point where we can without fear ask the
question "how would you rather have it?" and never need to draw the "you
wouldn't understand the reason" card in the course of the ensuing
discussion.

There's been some corners of LilyPond where I've been able to make
progress in that respect.  The backend certainly is not one of them.

--
David Kastrup