Re: Cannot get clef and time on first measure

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cannot get clef and time on first measure
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 17:12:09 +0200

"Steven A. Falco" <stevenfalco@gmail.com> writes:

> I have entered the attached music.  So far, I have not been able to
> get the clef or time signature to print on the first measure.
>
> I can get the clef in the middle of the first measure by adding "\set
> Staff.forceClef = ##t" right after the first grace note in the
> "intro_part", but that doesn't work if I put it in front of the first
> grace note.

Without even looking at it, that reeks of issue 34.  Quoting from the
documentation:

Known issues and warnings

A multi-note beamed “acciaccatura” is printed without a slash, and looks
exactly the same as a multi-note beamed “appoggiatura”.

   Grace note synchronization can also lead to surprises.  Staff
notation, such as key signatures, bar lines, etc., are also
synchronized.  Take care when you mix staves with grace notes and staves
without, for example,

     <<
       \new Staff \relative { e''4 \bar ".|:" \grace c16 d2. }
       \new Staff \relative { c''4 \bar ".|:" d2. }

[image src="lilypond/b3/lily-25312367.png" alt="[image of music]"]

This can be remedied by inserting grace skips of the corresponding
durations in the other staves.  For the above example

     <<
       \new Staff \relative { e''4 \bar ".|:" \grace c16 d2. }
       \new Staff \relative { c''4 \bar ".|:" \grace s16 d2. }

[image src="lilypond/77/lily-fe6a65cd.png" alt="[image of music]"]

   Please make sure that you use the ‘\grace’ command for the spacer
part, even if the visual part uses ‘\acciaccatura’ or ‘\appoggiatura’
because otherwise an ugly slur fragment will be printed, connecting the
invisible grace note with the following note.

--
David Kastrup