Stanzas with different rythms

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Stanzas with different rythms
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 20:26:15 +0200

Although using Lilypond for some years I am a beginner in typsettings
songs. I want to copy an existing sheet and replicate the style as far
as possible. One idea is that the melody shows the rythm for the first
stanza. The differences of other stanzas should be indicated with
smaller notes (head and stem).

How can I combine the stanzas and create small notes for changes in
later stanzas?

I hope the following is a minimal example. In the first measure "Kö-nig
in" must be matched with shorter notes. In the third measure it's
"sei-ne Städt".

Best regards,
Helge

\version "2.19.80"

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##f
}

% First stanza with correct rythm.
\relative c' {
  \time 6/4
  \partial 4
  e4 |
  a2 a4  e4. 8 4 |
  f2. c2 4 |
  d2 e4 f2 d4
}
\addlyrics {
  Es war ein Kö -- nig in Thu -- le gar treu bis an das
}

% Second stanza omitted
% Third stanza with correct rythm.
\relative c' {
  \time 6/4
  \partial 4
  e4 |
  a2 a4 e2 4 |
  f2. c2 4 |
  d2 \autoBeamOff e8 8 f2 d4
}
\addlyrics {
  Und als er kam zu ster -- ben, zählt er sei -- ne Städt im
}

% Combine stanzas with different rythms.
% The note heads look ok, but all between << >> is not used.
\relative c' {
  \time 6/4
  \partial 4
  e4 |
  a2 a4 << { e4. 8 4} \\ { \small e2 } >> |
  f2. c2 4 |
  d2 << e4 \\ { \autoBeamOff e8 8 } >>
}