Re: UTF-8 unicode use in \markup

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: UTF-8 unicode use in \markup
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 01:39:27 +0100

Just for clarification:

00a7 is not a special code, but a hexadecimal number. Basically any unicode
char is linked with a number, and the „code” is just this number in
hexadecimal digits.

U+.... is just a way to specify that a hexadecimal number stands for a unicode
char. In our case that function is taken by char. #xSOMETHING is just a guile
way of entering numbers as hexadecimal. So instead of ##x00a7 you can also do
##xa7 as well as simply 167 (which is the decimal numeric value for hex A7).

Thus char basically takes a number and gives us that unicode character.

Cheers,
Valentin