Pat Waing Notation

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Pat Waing Notation
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 12:49:57 +0100

Hi,

 I'm working on a piece for Pat Waing, a traditional instrument from
Myanmar consisting of 20 tuned drums. Musicians from Myanmar use a
special form of notation, using numbers for the pitches with dots
underneath or above indicating the octave.

I would like to find a generic way to notate the music in lilypond
using a special Staff with no staff lines, preferably with a
transcription into western notation in a seperate staff above. The
attached image shows an example: the bottom "staff" contains the
Myanmar notation, the western staff above the transcription.

The music should ideally be written in Western notation in the
lilypond sources, but be presented/rendered as shown in the attached
image. I assume some sort of Tabulature has to be created to
accommodate this and I'm open to any suggestions.

As the traditional notation often also uses horizontal beams below a
group of numbers to indicate rhythms (mainly eighth or sixteenth, used
without stems) my first thought was to notate the music with special
noteheads and invisible stems. As all noteheads should get engraved on
the same vertical position the notehead markup needs to have the
correct vertical offset from its default position, but to me this
seems like an ugly hack.

Here is my first attempt on realizing the markup:

8<---------------------------------------------------------------------

\version "2.19"

pwaa = \markup {
  \abs-fontsize #10 {
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5)
    \center-column { {} {2} {.} {.}} }}

pwab = \markup {
  \abs-fontsize #10 {
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5)
    \center-column { {} {2} {.} {}} }}

pwac = \markup {
  \abs-fontsize #10 {
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5)
    \center-column { {} {2} {} {}} }}

pwad = \markup {
  \abs-fontsize #10 {
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 1.8)
    \center-column { {.} {2} {} {}} }}

{\clef "bass" \relative c { \time 4/4  g_\pwaa g'_\pwab
 \clef "G" g'_\pwac g'_\pwad } }

Any help is appreciated!

Best,
Orm