Re: How to increase the distance between the last note of a measure and

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: How to increase the distance between the last note of a measure and the following bar line
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:39:00 +0100

Thanks.

However, when looking for a property or function that might fit what I need, I always check for inherited stuff. In this case, unfortunately, the search is a bit cumbersome and tricky and it's not the first time, especially when the properties are so many and I have to write the code quickly, that I don't find the right property.
Suppose that an object has many settable properties: there is a main page of this object, let's call it "A", and other pages with inherited properties (B, C, D, E etc.)
When I do a search, I first look inside A: if I don't find anything useful, I look in B and if I don't find anything useful here too, I go back to A and then I go to C etc.
You can understand that, when there are so many properties, jumping back and forth from page to page is inconvenient to remember what is available as a sum of things. In many automatic documentation of other libraries I use, the inherited properties and functions are listed grouped (with relative links), sometimes in small format, at the bottom of the page to avoid this inconvenience.
It is true that the resulting page is longer, but it is not heavier to read. Furthermore, in this way you can read only the names, without the descriptions, of these properties and this allows you to decide whether or not to jump to the page that defines the inherited property to try. Mine is a suggestion, and I think it's useful to add it to the documentation (or at least explain how to create this "extra" documentation automatically)

Best,

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
> Le 10/11/2021 14:01, Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com> a écrit :
>

> Thanks.
>
> BTW, in which object is this property documented?
> It doesn't appear in
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/internals/barline
>
> ... where I searched before sending my message,
> so I guess it's inherited from something else.
>
> Best,

The page in the Internals Reference doesn't
list all the properties that the grob would
support, only those for which it has a specific
default. You have to explore the interfaces to
find other interesting properties that you can
tweak. In this case, click "Item" ("This object
is of class Item"). You'll find extra-spacing-width
in the item-interface.

Best,
Jean