Re: Tweaking an ottava bracket after a break

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Tweaking an ottava bracket after a break
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 00:31:28 +0000

On 11/6/21, 3:24 PM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Lukas-Fabian Moser"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
lfm@gmx.de> wrote:

    > \relative {
    >    \alterBroken #'padding #'(1 7) Staff.OttavaBracket
    >    \ottava 1 c''''1 \break
    >   c2 2
    > }

    I continue my lonely crusade against the hash-tick-combinations that I
    found so daunting when I learned LilyPond and which are needed much less
    often today:

    \relative {
       \alterBroken padding #'(1 7) Staff.OttavaBracket
       \ottava 1 c''''1 \break
       c2 2
    }

I love the idea that we can eliminate the hash-tick for padding.

I don't think we should eliminate the hash-tick for the values.  The
documentation for \alterBroken says that values is a list (and that means a
Guile list).  #'(1 7) is a Guile list.  1,7 is not (although the parser turns
it into one).  It is straightforward to learn that #'(1 7)  is a Guile list;
it's not nearly so straightforward to understand all of the parsing magic that
happens.

If at any point in an input file, 1,7 will be interpreted as a list #'(1 7),
and 1.5,10.3 will always be interpreted as #'(1.5 10.3), and 1, 7 will be
interpreted the same as 1,7  I will withdraw my objection to this usage in
documentation.

Thanks,

Carl