Re: LilyPond website is not available in some countries

From: Omid Mo'menzadeh
Subject: Re: LilyPond website is not available in some countries
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 18:24:56 +0330

Yes. This is Google blocking the IP, not a firewall on the way.

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 6:00 PM Jun Tamura <j.tamura@me.com> wrote:

2021/11/02 22:59、Jun Tamura <j.tamura@me.com>のメール:

2021/11/02 22:40、Phil Holmes <mail@philholmes.net>のメール:

On 02/11/2021 12:53, Kevin Cole wrote:

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 6:42 AM Omid Mo'menzadeh <omid.mnzadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all.
I'm not sure if this is the right list to post this, but I'll give it a shot here, and see where I should report this.
The problem seems to be the website's hosting, which appears to be provided by Google, which blocks access from certain countries in accordance with US law (with the error message "403. That’s an error. Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server. That’s all we know."). This would not surprise me if LilyPond was not a GNU project, but it's a bit off at the moment, to say the least.
What I would want to know if this is something the team cares about, and where I should discuss this.
Thanks,
Omid Momenzadeh
I could  be mistaken -- I often am -- but...

I suspect it's merely that the site is designed to construct search queries using Google as the default search engine -- along with Google's option to limit the search to a particular site. This saves the maintainers from having to install a search engine and keep it updated.

(One other negative consequence of this setup is that it randomly chooses the version of documentation -- e.g. If I am on a .../doc/v2.20/... page and search for a term, it will happily offer up a match from .../doc/v2.22/..., .../doc/2.18/... or whatever else it finds.)

No - it's hosted on Google currently.

--

Phil Holmes

If it’s hosted on Google, the same thing must be happening in mainland China as well. My last trip to China was in 2017 and, at that time, all the connection to google.com domain and other services by the Alphabet group, such as YouTube, was blocked by the “great wall” set up by the Chinese government.

Jun Tamura

Oops! I’m very sorry for my misunderstanding. Error 403 is not the one caused by a firewall.

Jun