Re: another question regarding ottava: why does Lilypond change the pitc

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: another question regarding ottava: why does Lilypond change the pitches?
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 22:56:08 +0000

On 11/1/21, 4:49 PM, "Kenneth Wolcott" <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Kieren & Carl;

      Well, since you have already provided an MWE that shows it works as
    documented, may I provide my full Lilypond code?  It is only a halfway
    completed Piano arrangement of "The Elephant" from the ""Carnival of
    the Animals", by Saint-Saens. It is not long and it is simple.
    Perhaps I'm doing something really stupid...

In the original piece, when it says "L.R. sempre 8va bassa"  I believe it means
all of the pitches need to be shifted down by an  octave.  But when you entered
the pitches, you didn't lower them by an octave to the sounding pitch, you
entered them at the staff position pitch.  Thus, when you lowered the staff by
an octave with \ottava, the pitches shifted up by an octave on the staff.

TLDR; Your pitches are an octave too high.

Carl