Forcing display of a time signature

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Forcing display of a time signature
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:56:43 +0200

Hi List,

I have the following:

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

textStencil =
#(define-music-function
   (grob text)
   (key-list? markup?)
   #{ \override #grob . stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
      \override #grob . text = #text #})

timeStencil = \textStencil Staff.TimeSignature \etc

{
   \once \timeStencil \markup \compound-meter #'(0 0)
   \time 3/2
   | a'2 b'4. a'8 g'4 g'
   \time 5/4
   | a'4 b'4. c''8 b' a' b'4
   \time 6/8
   | a'8 g' fis' gis'4. \bar "|."
}
%%%%

Let us say that I want to have several measures with the "0/0" time signature, while other instruments are playing in metered 3/2. At some point, I want to return the unmetered voice to the metered 3/2 the rest are playing, and thus want to display the time signature at that point *for that instrument only*. Is there a way to force (re-)displaying a time signature in one Staff, without invoking the \time command and displaying it for all voices?

Thanks for the help,