Re: Book structure

From: Timothy Lanfear
Subject: Re: Book structure
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 23:29:11 +0100

On 13/07/2021 18:50, John McWilliam wrote:

I have been working on a Collection of Scottish bagpipe music. Each tune (PIECE) consists of:

 1. Ground (basic melody)
 2. Variations (usually up to maximum four).

My strategy has been to create each individual section (ground & variations) within its own score and with its own header. This has worked well for me and given me a satisfactory result.

My problem is when I try to gather these tunes into a book. Here the result is scrambled and I suspect it may have something to do with my basic structure. I enclose a simplified (I hope!) rendering of “A” the structure of each tune, and “B” my book module structure.

If anyone would like to comment on thisI would be most grateful.

John McWilliam

The attached files show how I solved this problem for Van Eyck's Der Fluten Lust-Hof, a large collection of themes and variations for recorder.

A theme and variations is in its own file named nnn-title.ly, where nnn is a 3 digit number.

The directory is searched and any file matching the pattern is included in order.

Table of contents is generated.

The theme is considered variation 1, so the remainder are automatically numbered from 2.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

--
Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.