Re: Appending minor chords with "sus2/sus4"

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Re: Appending minor chords with "sus2/sus4"
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 18:52:31 +1000

Lukas,

Aaaah, that makes sense. As a classical stiff I just assumed that suspensions resolve downwards by default, so the 2 was in fact a suspended tonic, not a suspended third. And since the minor third is already present in the chord I'm dealing with, I think I'll just change it to Gm add9.

Thanks again!

Brent.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 18:10, Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi Brent,

> I'm currently adding chords to some music, and I can't seem to find
> anywhere how to create a "Gmsus2" chord name. When I type "g:msus2"
> lilypond freaks out, and as far as I can tell, this particular
> combination of a minor chord with an added suspension never appears in
> the documentation (at
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords
> <https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords>
> ).
>
> I feel like I'm just missing something, is there an easy way to
> display this chord type?

It's not very common to ask for Gm-sus2 oder Gm-sus4: The sus2/sus4
replace the third in the chord, so there's no trace of "minor" left.

But you speak of _added_ suspensions: This sounds to me as if you are
looking for Gm-add9 or Gm-add11?

All of these may be forced with chordNameExceptions:

\version "2.22.1"

chExceptionMusic = {
   <c f g>1-\markup { m\super "sus4" } % Semi-advisable? :-)
   <c d g>1-\markup { m\super "sus2" } % Semi-advisable? :-)

   <c es g d'>1-\markup { m\super "add9" }
   <c es g f'>1-\markup { m\super "add11" }

}

% Convert music to list and prepend to existing exceptions.
chExceptions = #(append
   (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExceptionMusic #t)
   ignatzekExceptions)

exampleChords = \relative {
}

theMusic = {
   \mark "Standard"
   \exampleChords
   \bar "||"
   \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions
   \mark "Custom"
   \exampleChords
}

<<