Re: Hiding slurs but retaining melismata

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Re: Hiding slurs but retaining melismata
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 18:57:56 +1000

Lukas,

Perfect, thanks so much again! Gee I'm learning a lot right now.

Brent.

On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 at 17:53, Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi Brent,

Am 03.07.21 um 09:40 schrieb Brent Annable:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm preparing some choral motets, and so far I have used slurs to tell
> the lyric engine where to put the melismata. I am finding the page a
> little too cluttered, so bow I want to see what the score would look
> like without the slurs in it.
>
> When I use \hide Slur, they disappear but the layout and spacing is
> the same; obviously the engraver still creates them, they just aren't
> shown. When I remove the engraver, the lyric engine no longer
> recognises them so the syllables all end up in the wrong place.
>
> Is there a way to tell Lilypond to use the slur indications to
> position the lyrics, but to tell the slur engraver not to generate them?

\hide'ing is too weak (it just makes the slurs transparent), \remove'ing
the Slur_engraver is too much (the slurs cease to exist). \omit'ting is
the right thing in between: The stencil is removed, so the slur won't be
printed and won't take up space, but the lyrics engine still "sees" the
slur.

So:

\version "2.22.1"

\layout {
   \omit Slur
}

\relative {
   g'4.( f8 e d c d)
   e4 c
}
\addlyrics {
   Me -- lis -- ma
}

Another, somewhat brutal alternative would be to re-define the meaning
of ( and ):

\version "2.22.1"

"(" = \melisma
")" = \melismaEnd