Re: Large-scale projects and long-term perspectives

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: Large-scale projects and long-term perspectives
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 15:32:58 +0200

> On 4 Apr 2021, at 14:23, Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Am So., 4. Apr. 2021 um 13:55 Uhr schrieb <boilley.c@outlook.com>:
>>
>> Hello, I am new to Lilypond* !
>>
>> Any tips / workflow for large-scale projects (film score, Opera, ...) ?
>> How do you approach condensed scores / cues / divisi ?
>> How do you deal with score generation time ?
>> How to modify (in a 1800+ bars project) bar 446 (4/8 => 3/8); remove or add
>> bars in the middle of an orchestral score; change spreaded dynamics on
>> several staves at once - effectively (and without Frescobaldi) ?
>> Once Lilypond mastered will I be able to write large scores in the same time
>> (or even faster) that it would take using WYSIWYG softwares ?
I'll leave these for people that work with such large scores. I only create 1-6
voice vocal scores with Lilypond.
Typically transforming those  from paper score to digital score works faster
for me with the pure text-based relative note entry. But then again I haven't
invested a lot of time in learning all the keyboard entry shortcuts of WYSIWIG
editing tools.
As a programmer I'm used to reading  code and transforming it mentally to its
end result and that still works fine for such relatively small scores. For
larger scores I can imagine that a WYSIWIG tool might offer benefits especially
in the finetuning of page- and system-layout.

>> Although ly is Open Source with the flexibility that comes with it, do you
>> think this beautiful software will be maintained by 2036 and beyond ?
In my view, given the current vibrant developer community, there is a bigger
chance for this to be around and still maintained than for the continued
useablility of any commercial product (with a one-off fee) in 2036 (unless you
keep a system with a now-current (in 2036 heavily outdated) operating system
around for the tool to ensure that you have an OS that allows you to run it).

>> Finally, I've read several times that PostScript is getting obsolete : how
>> will this impact lilypond in the short / medium and long term?
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/be_fr/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html
There you're confused by the 'PostScript' part of it.
PostScript is a widely used language to describe rendering of pages which I
expect to be around for quite a while.
For that language Adobe also created the 'PostScript Type 1' font format. That
font format is what has been published to be obsolete (it's replaced with the
OpenType font format - the successor of both the 'PostScript Type-1' and the
'TrueType' font formats)

regards,
Hans