Call for help on Lyric Notation project

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Call for help on Lyric Notation project
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 11:52:09 +0100

Hello,

Some time ago, Michael Blankenship asked for assistance on this list
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-10/msg00497.html)
for custom phonetic notation of lyrics as music, something that he
is working on as part of his Ph.D.

I ended up writing some code (roughly a thousand lines) over here:

https://gitlab.com/jeanas/lyric-notation

While the project is advanced, it is not yet complete. I would
appreciate help from other coders to move this forward.

Here are five good reasons to take this offer:

- It is fun.

- You might learn a lot about LilyPond (as I did).

- It helps someone.

- It might bring LilyPond some reputation in academic circles.

- It would make an excellent example for the
http://lilypond.org/examples.html page.

If you are curious, go clone the repository and start exploring. In case
you are not familiar with Git, you may just download the sources as a
ZIP archive from
https://gitlab.com/jeanas/lyric-notation/-/archive/master/lyric-notation-master.zip
Or you may read the Git bootcamp and cheat sheet at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/working-with-source-code <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/working-with-source-code>

On the project's front page at GitLab, and in the README.rst from the
source, you can read some documentation about how it works.

Issues to tackle are here:
https://gitlab.com/jeanas/lyric-notation/-/issues <https://gitlab.com/jeanas/lyric-notation/-/issues>

Feel free to ask any questions. Please reply to this message if you
are interested.

A happy new year to everyone!
Jean